Creating Custom Live Table Queries
👤 This documentation is intended for Admins and Data Admins.
Note: Self Service Dashboards is an additional feature. Site administrators can contact their Account Manager for additional information.
Sisense allows users to manipulate live data directly from within Sisense by running custom SQL queries against the live data source without modifying the data in the original data source. For example, the following can be done:
- Create calculated fields
- Limit table scope (using the WHERE function)
- Create Union tables
Once custom fields/tables are defined against the Live data source, these fields/tables have all the functionality of regular tables that reside within the Live data source.
- Custom Live table queries are calculated against the live data source upon query. No data is stored within the Sisense application.
- Custom Live table queries have no limitation on their complexity. Performance is bound to the capabilities of the data source.
- To enable Data Designers to create custom live table queries, the Sisense Administrator must first activate the Live Queries option in the Admin page under Feature Management. The ability to create custom queries can be turned on and off as desired, so as not to overload the data source at particular times.
To add fields/tables with custom live table queries in the Connect Wizard, click the + button next to Add Table Query at the bottom of the list of tables and views. An empty custom table is added to the list and the Settings area opens.
To add fields/tables with custom live table queries when previewing an existing table, click Edit Query to modify the custom query.
In the Settings area, enter or modify custom SQL queries.
- Give a descriptive name to the query. This is optional.
- Click Parse to verify the query syntax before saving the query.
- Click Done to apply the live table query to the live data source.